This is the most important archaeological site on all the peninsula. The spacious and massive hill-fort of Nezakcij had been shaped in the Bronze Age. It had been the political and religious centre of the Histrian tribes alliance and their capital. In 177 B.C. the decisive battle between the Romans (superior in number) and the Histrians took place here. To avoid to be made prisoner by the enemy, the Histrian king Epulon supposedly threw himself on the sword and died. His soldiers followed his example. After the Romans had conquered Nezakcij, it became a miltary patrol station on the road going from Pula, through Ližnjan, to Labin and Liburnia. The findings brought out to the daylight are from the period between 11th and 7th century B.C. From the prehistorical time only the necropolis, the walls and a ditch foundations have been preserved. From the Roman period are the forum, the thermae, the road for the water, the doors and the remains of three temples. It is easy to notice the ruins of two big basilicas, rectangular and parallel, from early Christianity (5th cen.) On the site, there is a small museum. Most of the findings (vases, pottery, glass tear-collectors, urns, oil-lamps) are displayed in the Archaeological Museum in Pula. Among the findings, there are objects manufactured in Greece and Apulia.
East of Sisan above the sea there is an 88 m high hill known as Svetica or Monte Madonna. On the top of it, there are the remains of ruins of a castle settlement fortified by a double wall. There have also been found remains of Roman buildings, which means that it had been an important place for the navigation control In 1915 (beginning of the World War One) the construction of a powerful battery group Monte della Madonna began. In the period of cold war, in the 50s, the planning and construction of underground concrete dugouts started secretly. The action was marked “Top secret”. At the time nobody of the local inhabitabts were allowed to pass through this area, and the mistery somehow persists to the present days.
Muntic is a site with a rich past. There are archaeological finds of pre-historical pottery from the Bronze and Iron Age, and in the vineyards, a small rustic column capital has been found. In the 16th century, in 1585, Muntić was reconstructed again and populated with inhabitants from Kostanjica, and the parish was probably founded then as well.
South-east of the place Liznjan, there is a large bay of the port Kuje. Remains of a country villa from the Roman Times have been found here. The Bay of Kuje is the only registered archaeological site in the area of the Municipality of Liznjan. On the mentioned site, 12-33 m in depth, there have been found remains of amphoras of North-African origin dating from 2nd and 4th century BC. In the 17th century the church dedicated to Our Lady “of Kuj” was put up in the vicinity. It is a votive chapel of farmers and fishermen with baroque characteristics. In 1995 there were important archaeological excavations in the place which showed that the church was built on ancient foundations. The transparent glass “floor” makes it possible for the visitors to see this valuable ancient testimony. In the Bay of Kuje, there is a monument witnessing the forming of the War Navy for South Istra. It was a heavy blow to the naval unit when on 16 September 1944 the German sank all the boats in the Bay of Kuje with bombs. The monument is sign of recognition to the fishermen and marines for their courage and for accomplishing their tasks as members of the naval unit of the National Liberation War Army.
The site of St. Stephen’s is situated by the sea south-east of Sisan and has always been known as a reach archaeological finding place. On the sea shore, there are visible numerous remains of “trilobiti”.